POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : n_to_national_healt =?ISO-8 : Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition to national healthcare? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:15:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition to national healthcare?
From: andrel
Date: 25 Aug 2009 15:46:35
Message: <4A943F9A.80809@hotmail.com>
On 25-8-2009 2:37, Darren New wrote:
> Tim Cook wrote:
>> If someone volunteers to do a particular task, expecting them to then
>> do that task is not an external compulsion; they made a promise *by
>> volunteering* to do it, hence obligated themselves.
>
> Yes. Distinguish between morally "obligating himself" and "legally
> required to." Even if what they did was despicable, I'd find it hard to
> argue that it was illegal.

In the case of a fireman 'legally required to' is probably close to the
truth. I think not performing your task as a volunteer in such an
important job will get you prosecuted here. You'll be lucky if they will
kick you out of the squad only. Same for a volunteer doctor helping at a
sport event.

Recently I read something about one of our yearly art and performance
festivals going to NY for once because of 400 years of relations oslt.
Most of the festival is run by volunteers here. In NY it is impossible
to get volunteers, they have to pay everybody, even the old guy pouring
coffee. Seems like volunteers are different in more than one respect on
both sides of the atlantic.

> In addition, it doesn't seem unreasonable to say "we'll put out fires
> for anyone who donates," which is what happened in practice.

Apparently not for an American, I think any fireman here, volunteer or
paid would be totally shocked if you suggest that to him or her.