POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : n_to_national_healt =?ISO-8 : Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition to national health care? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:15:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition to national health care?
From: andrel
Date: 24 Aug 2009 17:05:07
Message: <4A930083.3040707@hotmail.com>
On 24-8-2009 18:38, Darren New wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>>   Because "we will only put out fires for those who pay us" is extortion,
>
> They're volunteers.  How is it any more extortion than "I will only
> program computers for people who pay me"?
>
>>   Also, people often die in fires. If someone dies in a fire they refused
>> to put out because they got no money from them, they let someone die on
>> purpose even though they could help.
>
> Yes. I don't think they went that far, altho I do remember hearing a
> story of them showing up at some rich cheap-bastard's house just to
> watch it burn.
> The donation request was something like $10/year or so, so it wasn't
> like a lot of money. But if you were too cheap even for that...

You probably have no idea how utterly absurd this kind of logic sounds
to me (and probably most other Europeans).
One factor may be that we live in a situation where every fire may
spread to a neighbouring house. Another is that a fire department is a
community service. Paid by taxes, even the volunteers. It is extremely
hard to imagine a situation where they are paid in such a perverse way.
That simply does not fit with the image of a fire department.
It is just as inconceivable as a doctor refusing to treat a patient
untill he pays money was a few years ago. Note that that is happening
more and more here, mostly under influence of managers that were trained
by or according to the ideology of selfish bastards from an unidentified
country. Most doctors hate it but are forced to collaborate with the
enemy because if they don't even more people will remain untreated.

FYI the rule here is more or less that if something can happen in a
random way and the negative effect can exceed what you can afford, you
have to insure that. Also if the damage to society is larger if you are
not insured than if you are (typical example: health care. Somebody that
looses a leg because he is not treated in time often costs more than
someone who is treated. Both directly and indirectly because of the
things he can not do anymore that benefit society) So if you own a house
you have to insure that against fire damage. If you have work, you have
to insure against loss of your job and against physical harm that may
lead to loss of your job. Also everybody should have an insurance to
damage inflicted on others Etc. In many cases you do not even have to
take any action. Insurance is obligatory and handled via your employer
who pays the bills before handing you your money. And that is probably
just as alien to you as the inactive fireman is to me.