POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Now that's cool : Re: Now that's cool Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:22:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Now that's cool
From: andrel
Date: 24 Aug 2009 15:37:25
Message: <4A92EBF4.6080501@hotmail.com>
On 24-8-2009 20:21, Darren New wrote:
> Magnetism and electrostatics explained in terms of relativity, rather
> than vice versa. And even I followed it when I skipped the actual math. :-)
>
> http://physics.weber.edu/schroeder/mrr/MRRtalk.html

It is 20 years ago but this is what I remember from one of the great
teachers of theoretical physics in Amsterdam that I had the pleasure of
attending the lectures of (Gerard Bauerle).

- let's assume we have a universe with 3 space-like coordinates and one
time coordinate
- what happens of we have a vector in this space that has to be
invariant to rotations?
- Surprise: what we have now on the blackboard are Maxwell's equations.

Ok, it took a number of hours to introduce the mathematics, but then we
had in 10 minutes shown that in such a universe fields move at a fixed
speed, aka lightspeed. General relativity was another 5 minutes work.

I'll read this page later. I have to do other things now :( but he
starts with relativity assumed and works from there. Gerard started with
a clean board.

Take home message for me (although I might not do his derivation
justice): light is simply a property of space, not something that is
added later.