POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fiction sought : Re: Fiction sought Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:20:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fiction sought
From: Darren New
Date: 23 Aug 2009 23:52:43
Message: <4A920E8A.40603@san.rr.com>
mone wrote:
> The only book that springs to mind with a really strange deity:
> "The Other Side" by Alfred Kubin (1909)
>
> I don't think it meets all required criteria, however. It's rather classic
> phantasy literature than cyberpunk

I wasn't looking for cyberpunk. I was looking for actual deities treated
with a reasonable amount of respect. (Cyberpunk deities are actually kind of
silly, in the 1 or 2 cases I've run across it.

> - but very weird and off-beat. And certainly
> not funny but rather dark, depressing and dystopic.

Cool. Thanks!

Stephen wrote:
 > I like Roger Zelazny; Lord of Light, Creatures of Light and Darkness and
Isle of
 > the Dead are about deities.

Thank you. The only thing I liked of his was one collection of shorts (that
I haven't again found) wherein each short is one legend, apparently all
about the same guy. It was really cool, because they were all in the style
of legends: bad thing happens, hero shows up, solves problem, continues on
his quest.

Neeum Zawan wrote:
 >     Oceanic?

Yes, exactly. I was somewhat trying to avoid spoilers. :-)

 >     To be honest, I don't see why that story got the accolades it did. I
 > felt it wasn't particularly creative nor original.

Agreed.  It just really killed me to find out the guy was wrong after all.
Or, well, not that so much, but to have his faith shattered by mere reality
when it was serving him so well. Maybe I need to re-read it.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Understanding the structure of the universe