POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : n_to_national_healt =?ISO-8 : Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition to national health care? Server Time
9 Oct 2024 16:13:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition to national health care?
From: andrel
Date: 15 Aug 2009 16:28:22
Message: <4A871A68.5090505@hotmail.com>
On 15-8-2009 18:16, somebody wrote:
> "Neeum Zawan" <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote in message
>
>> If it didn't push people back, then yes (i.e. if there's a separate
>> system of doctors who get paid directly, and who don't deal with the
>> people normally in the line).
>>
>> The real problem may be the line. However, her jumping it likely caused
>> problems for others. How can that not be negative?
>
> Indeed. One problem with waiting lines of any sort is that it's an open
> invitation for bribery, nepotism, favouritism, racism, sexism... any any
> other kind of ism. Not to mention "class" differences (athletes get special
> treatment, zero wait times, for instance, especially in countries with
> "social" medicine). I have no doubt that the waiting times in Canada of
> poor, obese, aboriginal men for diagnosis and surgeries would on average be
> rather noticably longer than that of upper class, white, fit females, for
> instance, even if no explicit foul play is involved and when it's all
> completely subconscious.

To both of you: sure, some people get faster treatment even in systems
where they officially would be equal to other. Indeed there are lots or
ways to jump the line (a little). But why on earth should that be a
reason to reject such a system in favour of one where the less lucky
don't get treated at all?