POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What do you think? : Re: What do you think? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:25:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What do you think?
From: andrel
Date: 15 Aug 2009 15:38:26
Message: <4A870EB5.5060805@hotmail.com>
On 15-8-2009 1:49, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 19:56:22 +0200, andrel wrote:

>>> There really is no reason to bring your private life into the
>>> classroom, and if you're a public school teacher, paid for by taxpayer
>>> dollars, than it's part of the job to ensure that that doesn't happen
>>> in the US.
>> Eeek. This feels like an roundabout way of saying yes.
>
> Perhaps, but my teachers' private life (regardless of if it's sexual
> orientation or where they went to dinner the previous night) are not part
> of the lesson plan or the reason why the students are there.
>
> For the same reason, it's not appropriate to ask coworkers in a workplace
> about deeply personal medical matters (for example) or to disclose
> details of medical procedures you've undergone to coworkers - most
> workplaces that I've worked at in the US have rules about this sort of
> thing.

I understand your point. I was actually thinking more about how to act
if a student asks. At a certain age (4-8?) they will bluntly do so and I
can imagine that later on they may too. I can also imagine that it comes
  by in passing.
Starting middle of September I'll be teaching digital technology in the
first year of the University of Applied Science in Amsterdam. I'll be
watching myself on this point. That course incidentally is for a part
about the 7400 series, the course our mascot didn't take ;)

I do know what kind of relation most of my coworkers have, I know many
of the spouses and we do have a fine selection of gays. For some I know
a bit of their medical history and in one case I was even present during
an ECG test of a coworker (her boyfriend couldn't come and she wanted
someone to go with her. I was a likely victim because we had a good
relation and I know a bit about ECGs). Perhaps things are a little
different in the Netherlands/science (choose your own most important
factor).