POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : n_to_national_healt =?ISO-8 : Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition to national health care? Server Time
9 Oct 2024 10:16:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition to national health care?
From: andrel
Date: 14 Aug 2009 18:29:22
Message: <4A85E543.7030301@hotmail.com>
On 14-8-2009 23:24, Neeum Zawan wrote:
> On 08/14/09 14:06, andrel wrote:
>> obligatory ted reference:
>> http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/allison_hunt_gets_a_new_hip.html
>
>     From my perspective, that was a talk that gives a good argument
> against the Canadian system. It's really crappy that she found a way to
> push herself to the front of the line.

I don't think so. The real problem is the line.

Would you find it better if she could have bought an earlier operation?
Or if the lines were shorter because most people that needed a new hip
would never get one (e.g. because the hip trouble would prevent them
from getting a job that would make enough money to pay for the
operation. If you are looking for an argument why health care should be
insured and not paid up front by the patient, avoiding catch 22
situations like this is a good one)?

I am working in a hospital in Amsterdam and even here that helps for
certain procedures. In any country, in any system knowing the physician
helps. So IMHO that in no way disqualifies the Canadian system.