POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : x-no-archive : Re: x-no-archive Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:23:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: x-no-archive
From: andrel
Date: 11 Aug 2009 16:15:38
Message: <4A81D166.1020901@hotmail.com>
On 11-8-2009 17:13, Daniel Bastos wrote:
> In article <4a817414$1@news.povray.org>,
> Mike Raiford wrote:
>
>> Daniel Bastos wrote:
>>> I just noticed that all my articles are coming out with

>>>   server and may NOT be distributed on USENET or other news servers.
>>>
>>> So apparently povray wishes not to mingle with the USENET. Why not?
>>> The copyrighted-by-server statement looks interesting.
>
> [...]
>
>> Think of it as more or less being forums for POVRay users.
>
> Does the USENET destroy that with increasing spam rate and high
> frequency assholesness? :-)

You should ask Chris, but I seem to remember that there was a rule that
might have forced Chris to also carry all or most of the other USENET
groups if POV had been part of it.
There is also the IP problem. We create IP, putting it on a private
server gives that server the right to use that image or animation.
Putting it on USENET would effectively remove all control over our work.
There may have been other reasons as well.

One of the problems of that USENET SPAM is that many newsgroups have
died as a result, so it increases the likelyhood that at some point in
time newsgroup support drops out of thunderbird or then state of the art
e-mail browsers, at which point our POV news server could die as well.