POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tell me it isn't so! : Re: Tell me it isn't so! Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:14:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tell me it isn't so!
From: andrel
Date: 8 Aug 2009 18:12:16
Message: <4A7DF83E.4050502@hotmail.com>
On 8-8-2009 22:29, Stephen wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 21:13:02 +0200, andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>
>> Terry is more into puns and taking things literally for humorous effect.
>> Later books are increasingly more about the story than about language or
>> humor (IMHO). Douglas was overflowing with short stories and small ideas
>> that had to find a way into a framework that was suitable for a book.
>> Douglas is more quotable* because many of the ideas and observations are
>> already brought back to one-liners by him but Terry has written so much
>> more that he has had time to catch up on the number of ideas.
>>

> True
>
>> *) It is a pity that the story of the lizards has too much context.
>> Sometimes I would like to quote 'otherwise the wrong lizard might get
>> in' but that would need too much explaining.
>
> I can't remember that one but I think that I have downloaded it. I'll look it
> up.

from memory: There is this planet where the human population is rules by
lizards. It is still a democracy, all humans can vote but only lizards
can be elected. I think Arthur asks in astonishment: 'why do you vote?'
to which the answer is 'otherwise the wrong lizard might get in'.

I think it was meant as a reference to the British system where you can
only elect politicians that have been to one or two colleges. It is
scarily true of most democracies though.