POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tell me it isn't so! : Re: Tell me it isn't so! Server Time
9 Oct 2024 07:02:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tell me it isn't so!
From: andrel
Date: 8 Aug 2009 15:13:07
Message: <4A7DCE3E.6070407@hotmail.com>
On 8-8-2009 20:42, Stephen wrote:
> On 8 Aug 2009 14:05:27 -0400, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:
>

>> It's the only one he achieved ahead of schedule, sadly.  49 is too
>> early. :(
>>

> When the gods speak even authors listen.
>
>>> It has been years since I've read anything by him.
>> I listen to Hitchhiker's at least once a year.  I know the primary and
>> secondary phases well enough to recite along with the recordings.
>>

> I think that I prefered the Dirk Gently series. But that may be because HHGTTG
> was so cult-ish ;)
>
>> He had such a way with metaphors and the English language as a whole -
>> "they hung in the air in exactly the same way that bricks don't", for
>> example.
>>

> A bit like Pratchett IMO :)

Terry is more into puns and taking things literally for humorous effect.
Later books are increasingly more about the story than about language or
humor (IMHO). Douglas was overflowing with short stories and small ideas
that had to find a way into a framework that was suitable for a book.
Douglas is more quotable* because many of the ideas and observations are
already brought back to one-liners by him but Terry has written so much
more that he has had time to catch up on the number of ideas.

*) It is a pity that the story of the lizards has too much context.
Sometimes I would like to quote 'otherwise the wrong lizard might get
in' but that would need too much explaining.