POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Christian Conspiracy Question : Re: Christian Conspiracy Question Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:14:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Christian Conspiracy Question
From: andrel
Date: 4 Aug 2009 15:10:10
Message: <4A788791.4000704@hotmail.com>
On 4-8-2009 20:56, Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>>>
>>> Right. Except by making it mean "I'm really *really* faithful",
>>> you've eliminated the usefulness of the word.
>>
>> Again, that is not what I did.
>
> "Those that believe *know* they are right" is incorrect. "Those that
> believe think they *know* they are right" is correct.

Only from the perspective of an outsider. Knowledge is not objective, I
understand why you would like it to be so, but alas...

>> The problem with this statement is in 'without justification'. That
>> unfortunately is not an objective term and that is where the problem is.
>
> It depends on how good your evidence is, of course. If you believe you
> were kidnapped by aliens while your entire family watched you sleeping
> in front of the fireplace, then you're without justification for your
> belief.

Which would not stop some people from knowing they had been abducted,
even if you would insist they mere believe it.

> If you think you know that George Washington was the first president of
> the USA, you're pretty justified in believing that.

There was a trick question about that on QI some tie ago, I forgot the
point, however :(