POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Speaking of conspiracy theories : Re: Speaking of conspiracy theories Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:24:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speaking of conspiracy theories
From: andrel
Date: 3 Aug 2009 16:03:03
Message: <4A774274.4080008@hotmail.com>
On 3-8-2009 11:53, Stephen wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 20:30:56 +0200, andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>
>>> I do the same or so my wife tells me.
>

>> Take this advice of another victim of this strange behaviour: stop it.
>> ;) Learn to use phrases like 'he asked me if I would...' in stead of
>> 'will you...' and 'I asked her if...' in stead of 'will you...'. It will
>> make the life of the listener so much easier. Also restrict yourself to
>> the main points and don't act like a tape recorder, that will help the
>> listener also to understand what you find the most important, and it
>> saves time.
>
> I don't recognise myself in that paragraph (maybe it does not translate well). I
> tend to say "he said" and "he did" without mentioning which "he" I mean. But
> with a little effort on the listener's part, mentally shifting subjects when the
> sense is lost, understanding can be obtained :P
> I tend to oscillate between speaking very precisely, as if I were writing a
> functional spec and being too sloppy.

Or perhaps you are not as bad as my wife, she is able to really quote
verbatim (or at least that is what she claims). Quoting both herself and
the other person literally without any indication that it is a quote and
by whom. Which means that if she uses 'you' she can mean either that
other person or herself if she is quoting that other or me if she has
ended the quote. I find it rather confusing at times.
Also sometimes confusing, but what happens to more people, is mentioning
only a first name and leaving to the other person which one of the Johns
you both know is meant.