POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Straight Dope : Re: Straight Dope Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:13:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Straight Dope
From: andrel
Date: 30 Jul 2009 14:07:11
Message: <4A71E14D.6080508@hotmail.com>
On 30-7-2009 3:44, David H. Burns wrote:
> clipka wrote:
>> "David H. Burns" <dhb### [at] cherokeetelnet> wrote:
>>> For instance, the essential difference between Christianity and Judaism
>>> is the acceptance of Jesus as divine.
>>
>> A bit more than that, to all I know; Judaism does not even acknowledge
>> Jesus as
>> a prophet (which, for instance, Islam does).
>
> I think you are right, but they could accept him as a prophet
> misunderstood or misrepresented
> by the christians with little or no change in their beliefs.

IIRC the jews are waiting for one final prophet since before christ. So
they can never accept Christ as a prophet as that would imply that he is
the final one and the end of time was 2000 years ago. Which may be
contrary to every day experience.

The Muslims will not accept a new prophet after Mohamed unless it is the
end of time. Christ was before so there was not a real problem to give
him a status as a prophet for them. What surprises me everytime is that
some 'fundamentalist' (see other part of thread) will accept e.g. osama
bin laden (or any of a large group of other 'islamic' scholars) as a
prophet and don't see the contradiction.