POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Microsoft Arrrrggghhh! : Re: Microsoft Arrrrggghhh! Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:25:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Microsoft Arrrrggghhh!
From: andrel
Date: 24 Jul 2009 11:53:59
Message: <4A69D916.3080905@hotmail.com>
On 24-7-2009 17:20, Darren New wrote:
> scott wrote:
>> too hard to ask that it continues to copy other files while it is
>> waiting for you to answer a question about one file?
>
> I guess it'll get there eventually. :-) They *do* manage to improve it a
> bit each time, except for the focus-stealing under Vista, which I heard
> they claim is due to something about security but I can't imagine why
> stealing focus could be more secure.
>
> Got up this morning, computer said "You need to reboot to finish..."
> OK, reboot. Another 40 minutes of "installing #1, installing #2".  I
> understand why you would want to reboot, but come on, put a checkbox on
> that says "reboot automatically" on things that take hours to run after
> each interaction. Sheesh.  </rant>

The day before yesterday I was in the OR to record something on my
laptop. After firing up everything (which takes a insane amount
nowadays, I am really going for a clean install soon) then after some
time it came with that 'finished installing critical updates, reboot'
thing. You can click that away but it keeps on nagging you.
Interestingly, the laptop wasn't connected to the internet, hadn't been
so for a couple of weeks and was on for some days, with regular periods
of sleep during the night. Ok, I can imagine that if you have an
important update that needs rebooting, that you nag until it happens,
but why does MS find it necessary to lie about these things? If there is
no update don't claim that there is. In the end I clicked it a couple of
times away and rebooted when I knew that I had 10 minutes before any new
recording.