POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tell me it isn't so! : Re: Tell me it isn't so! Server Time
10 Oct 2024 03:19:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tell me it isn't so!
From: andrel
Date: 23 Jul 2009 18:49:56
Message: <4A68E914.3000102@hotmail.com>
On 23-7-2009 2:58, David H. Burns wrote:
> andrel wrote:

>>> Thanks. Did you see it? I did when I read my own post. I don't think
>>> it shows up in the text in
>>> my "sent" file. These matters get complicated.
>>> :) (smiley ?)
>>>

>> I do. In your post, not when replying :) , neither yours nor mine.
>> The point I tried to make earlier is that it depends on the mail
>> reader of the person *reading*. You don't have an influence on it. You
>> type a colon followed by a bracket, that is what you sent and what is
>> supported by NNTP. After that somebody is trying to cleverly replace
>> them by rotated smileys, which is OK as long as they get it right :/
>> IIRC they have problems with exotic ones like \o/ perhaps because they
>> can conceivably be in a real post or in /ASCII art/.
>>
>> In short, there is a big chance that what you will see is not what I
>> wrote. Perhaps it is what I intended.
>
> Thanks, again, Andrel. The smileys work, :/ and \o/ came through as the
> Ascii characters.

:/ might have been a smiley too, but isn't in TB. I remember having
problems to understand the \o/ when I first met him, and am not
surprised that TB doesn't replace it. I was expecting italics for /ASCII
art/ but apparently that should have been /ASCII/ /art/. which is
strange because *bold face* and _under line_ do range over the space.

> I'm using Thunderbird.

me too.