POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Evolution of species : Re: Evolution of species Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:26:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Evolution of species
From: andrel
Date: 23 Jul 2009 18:41:25
Message: <4A68E715.3070200@hotmail.com>
On 23-7-2009 1:11, Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>>>
>>> You mean like Neanderthal? Otherwise, you're going to have to define
>>> "subspecies". :-)
>>>
>> That was meant in the context of reversing some of the mutations that
>> separate us from the chimps (or retrofitting our mutations in them*).
>
> I understand that. Aren't neanderthals between us and the common
> ancestor of us and chimps?  I.e., didn't cro magnon descend from
> neanderthal?  I guess I should look that up myself, but...

There is no easy way to know which mutations occured later, so a
complete rollback is impossible. Besides I suggested to start with the
biggest changes (some of them presumably among the oldest) first, so
that the result of that operation would not result in a species that had
ever existed. If cro magnon  or neaderthal were a dead end, you can not
reach them even if you knew exactly in what order the mutations arose
starting from our common ancestor until modern humans.
But you knew that.