POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Evolution of species : Re: Evolution of species Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:22:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Evolution of species
From: andrel
Date: 22 Jul 2009 18:01:20
Message: <4A678C2F.5070500@hotmail.com>
On 22-7-2009 23:43, Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>> Reality check: would my ethics change if there was an intermediate
>> (sub)species between humans an chimps?
>
> You mean like Neanderthal? Otherwise, you're going to have to define
> "subspecies". :-)

That was meant in the context of reversing some of the mutations that
separate us from the chimps (or retrofitting our mutations in them*). At
some point the 'result' will probably still be able to interbreed with
humans but be a clear subspecies with different characteristics. Halfway
down the process I expect that there will be a true species that can not
interbreed with us, bonobos, or chimps. Unlikely, but possibly, it would
be able to mate with all, which would, I think, technically mean we
would all become subspecies of this human/chimp complex. So that is why
I put '(sub)' in parentheses, because I don't know. I wasn't referring
to Neanderthal or forensis or any other humanoid that has existed.

* you can do experiments on chimps. I think such a breeding experiment
would not even be illegal, contrary to the route starting with a human.
Though somewhere along the line you would hit a legal wall, when the
chimp becomes too human. Can we predict in advance when that will be? If
not, can we afterwards decide that we did cross the line?