POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Evolution of species : Re: Evolution of species Server Time
9 Oct 2024 02:31:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Evolution of species
From: andrel
Date: 19 Jul 2009 17:00:33
Message: <4A638970.4030507@hotmail.com>
On 19-7-2009 19:34, Darren New wrote:
> clipka wrote:

>> So intially the 47-chromosome population must have been comparatively
>> successful.
>
> Or it's less hard to combine 48 with 46 than you might think. All the
> data is there, including the tollermerines (or however you spell it) in
> the middle.
centromere?
I don't think everything is preserved, there may be a small part
missing, I assume that is more than just the telomeres (if that is the
other word you were looking for ;) ):
http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/creation/translocation.html
apparently that was not crucial.
One reason to bring this point up is that the difference in chromosome
number is mentioned as one of the reasons why we can not interbreed with
chimps. If that is the case than you can not have different numbers of
chromosomes in various species. But you do, hence it must be more subtle
than that. When it first happens crossover during meiosis may be
impaired in the 47 chromosome individuals, but as long as the rest
matches, we can apparently get away with it.

Some random thoughs (that I am not sure if I tried those out here before)
The individual in which this translocation happened is undoubtedly one
of the ancestors of all men (as are the individuals in which the
inversions first appeared).* Slightly more speculative is my guess that
this or one of the inversions was the mutation that caused a form of
neotony in that ancestor. That would have resulted in a less strong but
more 'intelligent' individual. Which would have been a handicap in the
chimp and to a lesser extend the bonobo type of society for a male but a
huge advantage for a female. Hence: I think that particular ancestor was
a female (one of our Eves). It would be interesting to try to date those
mutations.

* if we have 30000 genes and we have 98% of our genes in common with the
two species of chimp than there are at least 300 ancestors common to all
humans since our split of the chimp line, and probably much more.