POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Racism in the US : Re: Racism in the US Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:13:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Racism in the US
From: andrel
Date: 13 Jul 2009 15:36:30
Message: <4A5B8CBE.4030605@hotmail.com>
On 13-7-2009 20:15, Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>> The main point of course is that if someone is claiming Obama is any
>> color at all and that that is relevant, is that the person who does it
>> is a racist.
>
> Well, unless the person who is making the claim merely that his election
> showed that the country isn't as racist as it once was. I.e., if you're
> attributing anything to Obama himself due to his skin color, that's
> racist. If you're attributing something to the voters due to Obama's
> skin color, that's not necessarily racist.

True.

>> I am not totally familiar with US history, but I think that most
>> (all?) presidents before him were from an upper middle class background.
>
> Not exactly. Of course, by the time you're president, you have to have
> enough money to advertise to get elected. But quite a number of
> presidents were born into families too poor to effectively support
> themselves.
>
> Abraham Lincoln in a one-room log cabin doing homework on the back of a
> shovel with chalk because he couldn't afford paper or a blackboard is
> the most famous example.  Some recent presidents started out rather poor
> too.

Thanks for the info. I was under the impression that the Bushes were
rather well off and so were the Kennedys, I assumed Clinton was also
from a middle class family because he studied law (using the prejudice
that working class children are more likely to study something
productive) and generalized from there. I must admit that it was mostly
motivated by being able to make the 'economist' 'joke'.

> Of course, yes, you don't get to be president without any money to spend
> on a campaign.

Sure but money that can come after your childhood. Perhaps because you
have a talent.