POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Racism in the US : Re: Racism in the US Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:13:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Racism in the US
From: andrel
Date: 13 Jul 2009 14:03:14
Message: <4A5B76E2.1080600@hotmail.com>
On 13-7-2009 18:34, Warp wrote:
>> Interestingly enough, there were a number of black pundits and spokespeople
>> claiming Barak Obama isn't black because his African parent was actually
>> born in Africa or something.  Basically, his ancestors were never slaves, so
>> he isn't really an African-American.
>
>   How does that make any sense?

Some derive their sense of pride from the fact that someone in their
ancestry was a slave and blame every failure of themselves* on those
that have the same 'color' as the one time owners of slaves**. If you do
that and claim 'compensation' for something somebody did 2 centuries ago
against somebody that might have been a family member of an ancestor, it
is important to give your group a name, say 'black', and prevent as many
others as possible to join that group. In short, this logic only makes
sense if you believe that black people are actually (morally) superior
to the other races.

The main point of course is that if someone is claiming Obama is any
color at all and that that is relevant, is that the person who does it
is a racist. He/she/it is not judging a person by what he does and has
done, but by a superficial characteristic that is irrelevant for the job.

I am not totally familiar with US history, but I think that most (all?)
presidents before him were from an upper middle class background.
Perhaps that is even a bigger change than the 'color' issue, or am I now
guilty of being an economist?

* which does not mean that racism does not play a role in many problems
of 'black' people.
**irrespective of that person's ancestors having been in the US at the
time and of their status at that time. Most were of course too poor to
afford slaves.