POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? : Re: An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:16:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An example of confirmation bias?
From: andrel
Date: 9 Jul 2009 15:38:33
Message: <4A564738.6070700@hotmail.com>
On 9-7-2009 9:57, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Jul 2009 19:59:22 -0700, Chambers wrote:

> I was raised Lutheran myself, though - though I identify as non-Christian
> now (I'd probably say mostly agnostic to be honest - don't know if
> there's a God or not, don't really care, I guess I may find out at some
> point.  I just try to live a good life as best I can).

Some time ago I learned, and I think it was here, that that is not what
'agnostic' means. An agnost is someone who thinks that he *can* not know
the answer to fundamental questions like the existence of one or more
Gods. That is fundamentally different from someone who merely does not
know, or doesn't care. Usage has been watered down and now often
(erroneously) include your opinion, basically because people forgot to
create a word to name that. Then again a word means what it is used for,
so perhaps there is now no word anymore to describe an agnost in the
original sense.
BTW is there in English a word to describe someone who thinks there is a
higher power but does not know what exactly? In Dutch we have the newly
created 'ietsist' for that (Dutch 'iets' means something).