POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? : Re: An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:27:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An example of confirmation bias?
From: andrel
Date: 5 Jul 2009 18:05:04
Message: <4A51238D.1010506@hotmail.com>
On 5-7-2009 22:45, Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>> Wasn't that one tested a couple of years ago?
>
> Yes. Often, actually.
>
>> With surprising results?
>
> Only surprising to the faithful.
>
>> Anyone can find that reference?
>
> Feel free. I certainly never saw it.

What I remember is something like this: divide a group of patients into
3. One group you let recover on their own. One you let pray for but
don't tell and one that knows that they are prayed for.
IIRC One of the groups that was prayed for did significantly worse*. I
don't remember exactly which one, I think the group that knew.

* this being regular research probably a cutoff value for P of .05 was
used. It is a well know fact that using this method one in twenty
results is wrong. ;)