POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? : Re: An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:15:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An example of confirmation bias?
From: andrel
Date: 5 Jul 2009 16:53:42
Message: <4A5112D2.6060004@hotmail.com>
On 5-7-2009 22:38, Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>> Many religious people are very tolerant. Problem is that you mainly
>> hear the others.
>
> I'm sorry, but I live in California, where they just passed an amendment
> to the constitution to strip the right to marry from gay people. Now,
> *maybe* it wasn't religious, and perhaps you can offer me an actual
> rational secular reason why this happened.
>
> Many religious people are tolerant.  A majority of them around here are
> *not*.

A majority of voters, which may not be the same, but I can see why you
are angry.

>>> When it's still the death penalty to change which prophet you believe
>>> in large parts of the world, there's still good reason to argue it,
>>> methinks.
>>
>> With China a nice example that a government can be atheist and still
>> put people to death for having a religion with one or more gods.
>
>  From everything I've heard from people actually *in* China, one doesn't
> get punished for being religious. One gets punished for using religion
> as an excuse to advocate overthrow of the current government.
>
> YMMV, but I have religious relatives in China, so maybe one of us is
> hearing propaganda.

Probably me. I keep hearing stories about various religions being
illegal and followers having been prosecuted for convening. It is hard
to judge from here, and probably they were indeed trying to overthrow
the government.