POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The future will be ok! : Re: The future will be ok! Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:16:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The future will be ok!
From: andrel
Date: 30 Jun 2009 18:59:49
Message: <4A4A98E4.3090008@hotmail.com>
On 30-6-2009 13:40, John VanSickle wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>> John VanSickle <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>>> The evidence that we have had any significant effect on the planet's
>>> climate is far from conclusive.
>>
>>   The significant increase in CO2 emissions by humans in the last 100
>> years and the significant increase in CO2 levels in the atmosphere in
>> the last 100 years is certainly a heck of a coincidence.
>
> Well, nobody's arguing against that.
>
> What many people are arguing is that the evidence for catastrophic
> anthropogenic global warming is far from conclusive, and that an
> increase in atmospheric carbon dioxide is actually beneficial overall.
> These many people include thousands of scientists with bachelors,
> masters, and doctorate degrees in climatology, computer science,
> physics, chemistry, engineering, and biology.
>
> The idea that there is a consensus among scientists on this issue is false.

There is a general consensus that there is anthropogenic global warming,
  what is in discussion is whether it will be catastrophic. Some believe
it definitely will be, some don't and a majority thinks that we should
not take the risk. I have never heard a serious argument that it is
beneficial, other than in the pub, but I am not living in the USA.