POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hypothesis #2 : Re: Hypothesis #2 Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:16:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hypothesis #2
From: andrel
Date: 10 Jun 2009 15:51:07
Message: <4A300EAB.4000802@hotmail.com>
On 10-6-2009 20:12, Shay wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>> Lots of people seem to think I'm a really clever guy.

Are they?

> So you're asking if being able to do mathy/techy stuff makes you
> *really* clever. Maybe. I do know some guys with poor math and language
> skills who have incredible aptitude for achieving what they want in life.
>
> I'll agree with you that in a way you are dumb because you don't seem
> very happy. From what I can tell, you are an extreme extrovert who isn't
> very effective at getting what he wants from people. A "smart" extrovert
> would have a good sense of how to please/manipulate/whatever the people
> around him.
>
> Organ playing without aptitude and mastery of unpopular programming
> languages are dead ends - especially socially. A lot of people spend
> their time on dead-end paths. Are they dumb, or do they just enjoy being
> there? I'll have to examine that question more closely next time I find
> myself there.

They might be dead ends in itself. That does not mean they have no
effect personally or socially. Examples: I had latin in highschool. Do I
use that? (almost) never. Could I have used that time more productive?
very likely. Did it help me in my further career? yes How? I haven't got
the foggiest idea.
Same with reading Dijkstra, guarded commands are even more obscure than
Haskell. Yet I think I am a better programmer now *and* I am still doing
that for a living after 20 years.
What choices have made me socially to what I am (a very friendly person
IRL and perhaps sometimes a little bit annoying on line) is harder to
express on line, I guess.