POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : DF3 / interpolation question : Re: DF3 / interpolation question Server Time
18 Jul 2024 07:28:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DF3 / interpolation question
From: Leroy Whetstone
Date: 31 May 2009 16:23:10
Message: <4A22E73B.5050300@joplin.com>
Hi!
  I haven't played with DF3 files for awhile. I did write a little
program to covert an heightfeild TGA file(255 color) into a DF3 file by
slicing the heightfeild into DF3 sections. Each section repersents an
height, only where the hieght of the feild is greater than the section
height is the voxel changed else it's zero. So there is a lot of zeros.

I went through some of these DF3 files and checked out all the
interpolate values using
  POV version 3.6.1.icl8.win32 on my Win98
and had no troubles. So I don't think zeros is the problem.

Haven't use 'Pod's tga2df3' so I cann't comment on its use.

But, I may be able to help out some.
  First: Did you run the DF3 examples that came with POV?
        If you have and they work Ok, then we know that there is no bug.
         If not then we have a bug with your POV version or Win problem.
  Second: Do you know for sure what is in the DF3 file you make?
          That is can you read byte by byte what's on the DF3?
          This is very important. I ran into a variable problem where I

          thought I was writing one thing but I was writing something
          else.
  Third: You mention using a Corner Voxel in your experiments.
         A line of voxels would tell ya more.

And at last if you want I could sent you some of the DF3 files I've made
along with that progam wrote them. The program ain't finished but it
could giv you sme ideas.

Have Fun!!