POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Delusions : Re: Delusions Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:27:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Delusions
From: andrel
Date: 21 May 2009 14:25:29
Message: <4A159C95.4000006@hotmail.com>
On 21-5-2009 18:09, Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>> Here it is a percentage of your last income. Makes sense in a way,
>> because if you earn more you have a bigger house, a bigger car and you
>> are probably the only income. So you need more to get you through the
>> hard times. Not totally fair perhaps but it prevents a lot of
>> secondary damage.
>
> It's also the fact that you pay more taxes to cover it when you're
> working while you're employed, at least in CA. If you don't pay the
> taxes, you aren't covered. But if you do pay the taxes, you also aren't
> always covered. There are situations where a sufficiently small business
> winds up paying UI taxes and nobody there can collect.
>
>>> Unions? We don't have any.
>> Interesting. A relic from the Thatcher days?
>
> A sufficiently small company isn't going to have a union either. :-)

As I said, no real experience in the private sector, but as far as I
know even people in small companies can be members of a union here.
There are some big unions with divisions that span certain workers in
all companies of a kind. Say all labpersonal organized as a group and
all kitchen personel etc.
Apparently the situation is different in the UK and US.