POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Toy .. : Re: Toy .. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:18:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Toy ..
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 4 May 2009 13:10:21
Message: <49ff217d@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> http://www.walkera-helicopters.co.za/media/43B.jpg
>
>   Looking at that, I assume that altitude is not controlled in the same
> way as in a real helicopter, ie. by changing the angle of attack of the
> rotor blades. Instead, I assume that in this case it's done by changing
> the speed of rotation?

I read scott's reply before adding my own ... :)

Right. Actually just by looking at this model I guessed wrong. It looked
like a collective pitch, but apparently not. But for cyclic, even on my
tiny model, it works the same as it's full-sized cousins. The blades do
vary through their rotation

>   Also in a real helicopter pitching and rolling is done by changing the
> angle of attack of the blades differently at different positions, but
> here I assume it's done with those small blades. Yawing is probably done
> in the same way in both.

The small blades (the flybar), as explained act as a stabilizer. They're
weighted and will act on the pitch of the main rotor blades to keep the
helicopter stable in the air, mostly because they are so light, they're
easily affected by outside forces. I'm not exactly sure how the flybar
works, though... I know the position of the weights affect stability,
and the speed at which the helicopter reacts to the control inputs, but
that's my limit.

--
~Mike