POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mission: improbable : Re: Fizzle Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:13:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fizzle
From: scott
Date: 4 May 2009 08:34:27
Message: <49fee0d3$1@news.povray.org>
>> By your premise, anyone who works in a customer-facing position should
>> never have a good year because all customers are unreasonable.
>
> Are you telling me this *isn't* the case?
>
>>> Dealing with people (especially nontechnical people) is one of the
>>> things about my current job that I hate the most. They have no clue what
>>> they're talking about, no idea what they actually want, but they want it
>>> 20 seconds ago, and if they don't get it, well that's just not good
>>> enough and I don't give a damn how difficult it is for you. I *own* you
>>> and you will do as you're told, bitch!
>>
>> You deal with some pretty crappy people, then.
>
> Yes. They're called "people". (And some folk wonder why I often try to
> avoid people...)

Look for a job where you mostly deal with technical people then.  In my line
of work the customers I deal with on a daily basis are doing pretty much the
same job as me, same qualifications, same age range, same tools etc, just on
a different product for a different company.  I seem to get on fine with all
of them, we all understand what is possible and what isn't, hardly ever is
there any disagreement, and even when there is it is very professional and
we still end up having a good chat over a beer and dinner later - usually
the cheapest way to get some extra information from the customers.

I remember one meeting where we were given mass production approval for our
first project with this customer after almost two years of Engineering work
together - they had brought champagne and cake in for everyone :-)