POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mission: improbable : Re: Fizzle Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:18:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fizzle
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 3 May 2009 22:06:33
Message: <49fe4da8@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> During my life, I've learned that trying leads to failure, and not
> trying leads to failure, and basically *everything* leads to failure. It
> doesn't seem to matter what I do, I just fail all the time. Now,
> logically, I know that if I don't try I can't possible succeed... but
> it's still *seriously* hard to try things when your entire life
> experience tells you it's hopeless. (And there's nobody standing next to
> you to encourage you.)

Murphy's law book has it as:

Negative expectations lead to negative results.
Positive expectations lead to negative results.

But that whole book is supposed to be funny, not summarize the nature of the
universe, even when you say "that's soooo true" at most of what it says :)

> I just searched for "programmer". Almost everything that came back was
> some sort of management position. :-/

Look for a better place to do your searches then, that search engine sounds
buggy.

> I had *hoped* that only one company could be this broken. The Daily WTF
> seems to present conclusive proof that actually this kind of thing is
> ubiquitous in the IT industry.

While employees in other companies enjoy life and read (but don't post to)
the Daily WTF.

http://niniane.org/gds.html

> (Similarly, all the agencies I went and spoke to, 80% of them said "oh
> no, we don't do IT any more".)

Like Jim said, maybe IT doesn't "do agencies" anymore, they're all in
linkedin and friends?