POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Etymology of bozo : Re: DKBTrace/POVRay book idea Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:25:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DKBTrace/POVRay book idea
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 3 May 2009 13:02:25
Message: <49fdce21$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 03 May 2009 07:41:11 -0400, clipka wrote:

> David Buck <dav### [at] simberoncom> wrote:
>> I'm feeling more and more that there's an interesting story to be told
>> about DKBTrace/POVRay that I'm the only person in a position to tell.
>> Others can talk about POVRay and what it does but I'm the only one who
>> knows where the ideas came from and how it all came to be.  My wife is
>> encouraging me to pursue the idea.  I think I'll do some basic research
>> and see if it makes sense to propose it to a publisher.
>
> Just in case the feedback from conventional publishers would be lousy,
> how about going for Print On Demand?

Or an e-book, I have some friends who have self-published an e-book for a
niche market, and while there is a risk of piracy, enough were willing to
pay for it that they did very well.

One friend wrote a book about a little-used firewall/proxy solution and
priced it at $29.95.  He sold about 1,000 copies of it - not a lot in the
world of publishing (not enough for any serious publisher to pick it up),
but he made > $30K for it, minus the price of a copy of Framemaker, which
I recall is what he published it with.

Conversely, the first book I did, we sold about 7,000 copies and I made
about $1.50/copy - not quite enough to pay back the advance I received.

Jim