POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Freedom House and Italy : Re: Freedom House and Italy Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:17:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Freedom House and Italy
From: John VanSickle
Date: 3 May 2009 05:32:03
Message: <49fd6493$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Carlo C. <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> The Best are the nations of Northern Europe and Scandinavian countries: Iceland,
>> Finland, Norway, Denmark and Sweden (top five worldwide).
>
>   Note that even though there's no governmental pressure on what the press
> can publish, there may still be (and actually *is*) cultural and sociological
> pressure on what kind of things the press will allow itself to publish.
> Self-censorship in certain subjects is quite common.
>
>   Also "free press" in no way implies that the press is unbiased. While some
> very small newspapers may be more willing to publish even more "taboo" points
> of view, it's rather common that the big ones tend to be rather biased on
> how they approach certain "taboo" subjects. In extreme cases the press at
> large may engage in open witch-hunting against certain movements or even
> individuals (it *has* happened, even here).

Happens in the U.S. all the time.  Of the major media institutions
(print and media), the majority of them are well to the left of the
American populace (in polls taken of journalists, they tend to vote for
one party over 80% of the time, whereas the general populace, as whole,
favors both parties evenly).

They routinely repeat, without even a token effort at corroboration, the
statements issued by one of our two major political parties, and in so
doing have reported things which are objectively false.  They have
assisted the character assassination of opponents of that major party,
and of opponents of that party's positions on just about any topic you
can name.

It is no secret that they definitely took sides in our most recent
presidential election, and given how close the election was, had a
decisive effect.

On April the 15th, there were literally thousands of demonstrations in
the U.S. against the massive taxing and spending agenda of the current
administration.  The demonstrations were run by the demonstrators
themselves with no significant overall organization (what we call a
"grass-roots" movement).  With one exception, the major media houses did
their best to ignore the demonstrations (which were weeks in the
planning) up until the day of the demonstrations, and then portrayed the
demonstrators as a minor extremists fringe, misrepresented their views,
and dismissed them as puppets of the one major television news outlet
that does not share the other news outlets' views.  On-location coverage
was notoriously biased.  Demonstrators interviewed on-camera were
frequently not allowed to speak as much as a complete sentence without
interruption by the reporter, whereas in coverage of demonstrations on
the other end of the spectrum, demonstrators are essentially handed the
microphone.

The one major media format that runs counter to this picture is talk
radio.  The talk radio audience is, as a rule, not interested in the
viewpoints that predominate in print and television, and therefore only
those shows which oppose those views can make a profit (the major
exception is subsidized by the government); the most recent major effort
to make talk radio more like the other news media resulted in massive
debt and (IIRC) bankruptcy.

It goes without saying that talk radio is routinely demonized by the
print and television media.

Regards,
John