POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mission: improbable : Re: Fizzle Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:14:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fizzle
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 30 Apr 2009 18:13:51
Message: <49fa229f$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 20:13:41 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> Yes. And given the way my life works, that's where I suspect I'll end
>>> up. :-/
>>
>> Well, if anything we can always count on you being pessimistic about
>> life. ;-)
>
> Well that's not entirely true. As you may have noticed, when something
> actually goes right for once, I suddenly become very optimistic.

You need to make it less "sudden" and more a way of being.  While it is
true that an optimist is likely to be disappointed and a pessimist
surprised, having a more positive outlook tends to be better for one's
mental health.

> (Perhaps excessively so.) It's just that for the most part, my life is a
> failure, so usually I'm pessimistic.

See, you need to stop with statements like "my life is a failure".
That's what we've been saying.  And I won't bore you with things like
"you've got a roof over your head, you eat regularly, and you've got a
paying job - and that's much better than a lot of people have" because
that's not generally helpful.

But at the same time, you maybe should admit once in a while that while
you think your life sucks, compared to people whose lives really suck,
you don't have it so bad.

Jim