POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Weekly calibration : Re: Weekly calibration Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:15:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Weekly calibration
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 27 Apr 2009 10:41:38
Message: <49f5c422@news.povray.org>
Tim Cook wrote:
> That assertion would mean that randomly choosing any terminating decimal
> or a decimal that doesn't include all ten digits is impossible.  But
> it's not, so...yeah.

	Actually, probability theory states it **is** zero if some digit is
missing. I was going to write a separate post about it providing *some*
rigor, but am quite busy - hopefully some time this week.

	(Essentially, if you take the interval from 0 to 1, write the decimal
expansion, and ask "what is the probability to get *any* number that
doesn't have the digit 4 in it", the answer is 0. The set of all numbers
in [0,1] that don't have the digit 4 anywhere in their expansion is a
set of measure zero, and thus the integral is 0).

--
Wear short sleeves!  Support your right to bare arms!

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl