POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : High rez versus high refresh... : Re: High rez versus high refresh... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:17:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: High rez versus high refresh...
From: scott
Date: 27 Apr 2009 03:03:01
Message: <49f558a5@news.povray.org>
>  For some reason 99.999% of people have a pathological obsession that
> the image MUST fill the entire screen, no matter what. At least
> horizontally.
> I have yet to meet the person who doesn't complain loudly if the TV image
> does not fill the widescreen display horizontally.

Lots of people here are like that.  One of the main causes is that for some
STUPID reason almost no LCD TV accepts analog PC RGB signals (through the
standard 15-pin SVGA plug) in the native resolution of the TV.  Thus people
just output 1024x768 (or whatever their laptop decides to use) and then it
is stretched to 1920x1080.  This then looks totally rubbish.  In one case I
saw someone using an even lower resolution like 800x600 and they didn't even
notice this.

Given that almost no new laptops seem to be coming with DVI sockets
(compared to desktop PCs which have had them for ages), I don't see this
matter changing in the near future.