POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Obsolete technology : Re: Obsolete technology Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:17:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Obsolete technology
From: Darren New
Date: 27 Apr 2009 01:04:05
Message: <49f53cc5@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> Does it dump your disk metadata into XML?

Yes, but only the metadata. The actual sectors are saved as binary, but the
directory structures letting you restore individual files (for example) are
in XML, so as to make it easier to recover your files in the event you don't
have the tool available. Hence the name.

> Ie. do you need a disk 10x bigger
> to save the backup? :P

No. My 22G backup winds up with 26M of metadata in XML. And the tags for
individual files are all one character, so the author was a bit cognizant of
the problem.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)