POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Weekly calibration : Re: Weekly calibration Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:13:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Weekly calibration
From: Darren New
Date: 27 Apr 2009 01:01:26
Message: <49f53c26$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Cook wrote:
> That assertion would mean that randomly choosing any terminating decimal
> or a decimal that doesn't include all ten digits is impossible.  But
> it's not, so...yeah.

At random? Are you sure it's not? Remember, the irrational numbers are
infinitely more populous in any given segment than the rationals. There are
more irrational numbers between any two rational numbers than there are
rational numbers period.

>> I don't personally know which is right, but from what I understand the
>> experts to be saying, my assertions are right. (I.e., I think I'm
>> saying what I read the experts to be saying.) That's why I'm asking
>> you if you have any actual expert descriptions that might shed light
>> on why *you* are right, beyond your personal logic.
>
> If my personal logic is insufficiently transparent to need an outside
> expert to be determined valid, it's obviously not very good.

Well, your personal logic seems just as valid as my personal logic, but they
can't both be right. :-)  Therefore, I turn to experts.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)