POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Weekly calibration : Re: Weekly calibration Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:15:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Weekly calibration
From: Darren New
Date: 26 Apr 2009 13:41:33
Message: <49f49ccd@news.povray.org>
Tim Cook wrote:
> "Darren New" <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:
>> Now, if you find something that explains *why* it's reasonable to pick
>> an infinite number of random digits and get all zeros, I'll look at
>> it, but right now we're both just asserting the truth of our own
>> positions. :-)
>
> I never said it was *reasonable* to get all zeroes, just that it's
> technically possible. ;)

And I'm saying no, it isn't technically possible, unless the probability of
getting any digit other than zero is literally impossible.  As I said, I
understand what you're asserting - each number is equally possible, so all
zeros is possible. I'm saying if each number is equally possible and you do
an *infinite* number of trials and don't get an *infinite* number of each
digit, then they're not all equally possible. The only way to make an
infinite number of choices and not get an infinite number of 9's is if 9's
cannot appear, because any non-zero number times infinity is infinity.

I don't personally know which is right, but from what I understand the
experts to be saying, my assertions are right. (I.e., I think I'm saying
what I read the experts to be saying.) That's why I'm asking you if you have
any actual expert descriptions that might shed light on why *you* are right,
beyond your personal logic.

> Besides, there's a third option:  we're both right.

I'm not sure I follow how that can be. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)