POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Weekly calibration : Re: Weekly calibration Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:15:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Weekly calibration
From: Darren New
Date: 25 Apr 2009 16:36:07
Message: <49f37437$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Cook wrote:
> "Darren New" <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:
>>> While the probability is equal, it doesn't mean all possible
>>> combinations necessarily show up an infinite number of times in an
>>> arbitrary sequence.
>> Why do you say that?
>
> Because 0.50000000... is one possible arbitrary sequence, and nowhere in
> it contains the sequence 123.

The probability of a 1 showing up anywhere is zero, so yes, the probability
of 123 showing up anywhere is zero.

> Observe:  the number set of decimals from 0 to 1 (inclusive) is
> infinitely large, with each element containing an infinite amount of
> decimal places, each having an equal probability of being a digit 0-9.

Yep.

> This set contains the number 0.000...  QED.

And that's why the probability of picking a number like that is zero. :-)

>> That's not my understanding of how the math works. Do you have any
>> citation as evidence for this? Because if the letter 'a' doesn't show
>> up after an *infinite* number of trials, you clearly don't have any
>> probability for it to show up at all, and indeed that's what the math
>> pages I've cited already say.
>
> See above.  The probability of selecting any particular number is
> effectively zero, but that number exists and so *can* be chosen.

Sorry, that's not a citation. I.e., I read experts who say you're wrong.
You're trying to convince me using intuitive reasoning that infinity works
in a way the experts say it doesn't work. I see that both arguments are
perfectly reasonable given certain assumptions about how infinity works.

Now, if you find something that explains *why* it's reasonable to pick an
infinite number of random digits and get all zeros, I'll look at it, but
right now we're both just asserting the truth of our own positions. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)