POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives : Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:19:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives
From: Darren New
Date: 24 Apr 2009 11:55:14
Message: <49f1e0e2$1@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
>> But you don't have any good reason for saying that, right?
> Fundamental free market principles is an excellent reason, IMO.

And if there were a free market in ISPs, I'd agree with you. I don't think
that's the case, tho.

> I think they should try to filter out illegal content anyway. But if
> legislated, it would have to be legislated in a manner not to make
> perfection a requirement.

Why? *My* downloads of content have to be perfect. How come the ISP would
get a free pass on sending me child porn, but I wouldn't have a free pass on
having it by mistake?

If you start saying "The ISP filters illegal content", people will rely on that.

> The legislation, if anything, should protect ISPs
> from liability for trying to filter out illegal content but not entirely
> succeeding (either false positives or false negatives). Same thing with spam
> filters too.

Why?

> Do you run an anti-virus program?

Nope.

> Are they liable for not being able to
> catch new viruses that are not in their databases?

Possibly.

> Are they liable for
> misidentifying a benign application as malware?

Possibly.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)