POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Antique : Re: Unique Antique Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:14:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unique Antique
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 24 Apr 2009 11:05:08
Message: <49f1d524$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> A friend of mine had a 2 farad capacitor installed near his house to
> suck up lightning strikes.  About the size of a 55-gallon drum.

I thought that's what an avalanche diode was for? Or is this connected
to a lightning rod? I'd sure hate to short the terminals on that after
charging it up !!

I've seen 1F caps in car audio shops, basically used to provide lots of
current to the amp when power is needed for strong transients (e.g. Bass
drum hit.) I'm sure it filters pretty much any ripple generated by the
alternator, too.

--
~Mike