POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : High rez versus high refresh... : Re: High rez versus high refresh... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:18:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: High rez versus high refresh...
From: Invisible
Date: 24 Apr 2009 06:51:04
Message: <49f19998$1@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell wrote:
> Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>> Most TVs I see either have the whole picture distorted, or they have
>> that "magic mode" that's supposed to fix the picture, but doesn't. It
>> makes it so that stuff in the center looks OK, but stuff near the edges
>> is horribly distorted.
>
> Oh yeah, I know the one you mean. Ghastly. Worse than regular stretching, IMO!

Damn straight!

I guess they figure all the "interesting" stuff will always be in the
center of the image or something.

Still, no matter what you do, there is no way the problem can ever be
solved without distortion or black bars. It's just mathematically
impossible. Which is why I find it so puzzling that manufacturers have
artificially created this problem in the first place...