POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : The Trouble of rendering Crystal letters : Re: The Trouble of rendering Crystal letters Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:35:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Trouble of rendering Crystal letters
From: Alain
Date: 23 Apr 2009 23:39:53
Message: <49f13489$1@news.povray.org>
capellan nous illumina en ce 2009-04-23 16:59 -->
> Hi,
>
> This is my first post in this newsgroup, although
> i have been reading all messages for some time
> and have learn a lot about Pov-Ray.
>
> Please take a look at this file:
> http://aulasdigitales.net/universidad_isa_crystal.zip
>
> This compressed file contains a small render and
> a Pov-Ray scene.
>
> In fact, this my Nth version of this scene, but after so
> many trials, i am still unable to produce a lighting
> effect that shows clearly the crystal letters over a
> white (or light colored) background.
>
> Every advice (and a small render that shows the results)
> is more than welcome.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> alejandro

The light_source definition is not complete and it's located inside your text.
As it is now, it's located at 1,1,1 and don't have an intensity. After the
<1,1,1>, add "rgb 1" so that it will light up the scene. Now, you only have
ambient lighting and the bakground to make your letets show.
Each leter is given it'sown material, each defined for that leter. It would be
beter to put them in an union and apply one material to the union as a whole.

You could use the text primitive, at leadt for the "Universidad" word. It can
create a object from almost any text using any available font. Sample:
text{ttf"times.ttf""Universidad",0.5,0 scale 10
material { //taken from your scene
texture {
         pigment { color Col_Glass_Clear }
         finish { F_Glass6 }
       }
       interior {
         I_Glass_Exp(2)
         fade_color color Col_Glass_Clear
dispersion 1.1 // added for completeness
       }
     }    //added for the example
photons{target refraction on reflection on collect off}
}

The photons block don't have any effect unless you add a photons block in the
global_settings.

--
Alain
Keep your eyes wide open before marriage, half shut afterwards.