POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives : Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:14:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 23 Apr 2009 22:46:44
Message: <49f12814$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 19:08:01 -0600, somebody wrote:

> Still cuts down on bandwidth, since popular content = high bandwidth
> usage. Why should strict www users subsidize p2p traffic?

Why not go to the next step, then - why should anyone subsidize anyone
else's traffic?  Pay by the byte.  Why should I subsidize my neighbors'
use of Netflix on demand?  I don't use it, and I don't benefit from it.

</sarcasm>

> to do so. Just like the customer can select *any* ISP (or none, as the
> case may be).

In many localities, the customer *can't* select *any* ISP.  I have
friends who live in very rural areas who have one option and one option
only.  They either pay whatever the provider charges and live with the
TOC or they go without.

*Infrastructure* is put in place so everyone can benefit.  Why do I pay
for the water mains for another part of town (through my taxes)?  I don't
benefit from the west side of Salt Lake City having water mains.  But my
property tax pays for maintenance on things like that.

We are none of us an island.

Jim