POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Antique : Re: Unique Antique Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:14:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unique Antique
From: John VanSickle
Date: 23 Apr 2009 21:39:19
Message: <49f11847$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> scott wrote:
>>> BTW, what *are* those absurdly tiny 2-pin devices scattered all over
>>> the board? Resisters? Many of them have labels printed on the board
>>> such as "R7". But a few are labelled "C13" or similar...
>>
>> Yes, take a wild guess what R and C stand for :-)
>
> I was under the impression that capacitors have to be of a specific
> physical size in order to have the correct capacitance...

Only caps used for filtering power supplies need to be in the millifarad
range, and these will be quite large (the size of an AA battery or even
larger).  Caps used for filtering low-level electronic signals,
especially at high frequencies, are often in the picofarad range (and
will range in size between the size of a grain of rice to that of a
small tablet of aspirin).

Regards,
John