POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mission: improbable : Re: Epic win Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:18:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Epic win
From: Darren New
Date: 23 Apr 2009 16:26:24
Message: <49f0cef0$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> Maybe there, but not here...not everyone in the US has one.  Many people
>> who live in the US don't, even though they're legal.
>
>   I can't understand how that can work. The most prominent problem which
> comes to mind is: How do they collect taxes if they don't know who is who?

The IRS (Internal Revenue Service) of course has your SSN, as does anyone
with the authority to collect taxes.  (Interestingly, it's called "Social
security number" because it was originally only to be used to collect social
security, not even other federal or state taxes.)

Private companies (other than your employer of course) don't necessarily get
your SSN unless you give it to them. Most places that key their database by
your SSN have mechanisms to support people who don't have or refuse to
provide their SSN.

> How can employers inform the government who is working for them if the
> employees have no ID?

Only taxpayers actually need an SSN. You don't get it "at birth". You get it
before you get a paying job. It's not a national ID number, it's a taxpayer
ID number.

>   That might sound a bit draconian when said like that, but I have yet
> to feel that being abused.

It was certainly abused during various wars, by both the USA and Germany
during WWII, for example. Not to invoke godwin or anything...

>   To somewhat compensate, Finland has very strict privacy laws (probably
> much stricter than in most other countries).

We lack that here, which is part of the problem. And even when there are
specific laws, our government is pretty good at ignoring them anyway. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)