POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives : Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:16:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives
From: somebody
Date: 22 Apr 2009 18:44:54
Message: <49ef9de6$1@news.povray.org>
news:49ef62a4@news.povray.org...
> somebody <x### [at] ycom> wrote:

> > > I 100% understand that. But for the third time you haven't answered
the
> > > question. What's the benefit that comes from allowing ISPs to refuse
> > > deliver certain kinds of content, or content from certain providers of
> > > information that are otherwise legal?
>
> > Actually, I don't know. It's like asking what's the benefit of allowing
> > portable audio devices that pick up FM but not AM to be manufactured and
> > sold.

>   I don't think that comparison is valid. Supporting both FM and AM radio
> requires additional circuitry and hardware.

I'm pretty sure providing NNTP a sever service, especially with the volume
of binary postings, isn't all that cheap either. At the very least,
eliminating certain servies or implementing filters will cut down on
bandwidth and related infrastructure, which isn't a free lunch even for
ISPs. Of course no analogy is perfect, but I think it's a fairly OK
comparison.