POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : A plea for sanity, and the current SDL : Re: A plea for sanity, and the current SDL Server Time
23 Apr 2024 05:05:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A plea for sanity, and the current SDL
From: nemesis
Date: 22 Apr 2009 15:36:55
Message: <49ef71d7$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers escreveu:
> On 4/20/2009 10:14 PM, triple_r wrote:
>> Chambers<ben### [at] pacificwebguycom>  wrote:
>>> 3) We need some way of examining and modifying previously declared
>>> objects.
>>
>> Just curious--why?  Can you do it right in the first place?
>
> Because this allows things like a macro-implementation of the MechSim
> patch without the need to actually patch the library, for one.  There
> are many other uses, too.

I like to position objects in relation to each other.  That is, I put a
table on the floor, then place objects onto the table by using the
table's relative position.  Sure, you can imagine there are quite a few
annoyingly named local variables around to carry out the task of
tracking the current positions etc.  Being able to do

sphere { position(table) 1 }
or
sphere { table.position 1 }

without resorting to hacks in the form of slow parsed macros would be
quite nice.

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9