POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives : Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:15:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives
From: somebody
Date: 22 Apr 2009 14:14:21
Message: <49ef5e7d@news.povray.org>
news:49ee4dfd$1@news.povray.org...
> somebody wrote:
> > "Darren New" <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote in message

> >> That's not what I asked. I asked why it's a good thing.  I.e., why are
you
> >> in favor of this becoming a law?
> >
> > I'm in favour of the law not restricting what ISPs can deliver.
>
> I 100% understand that. But for the third time you haven't answered the
> question. What's the benefit that comes from allowing ISPs to refuse to
> deliver certain kinds of content, or content from certain providers of
> information that are otherwise legal?

Actually, I don't know. It's like asking what's the benefit of allowing
portable audio devices that pick up FM but not AM to be manufactured and
sold. I think the decision should be with the manufacturer / service
provider, and not with government. Beyond that, it's a technical / strategic
matter that depends on particulars and needs. For someone needing NNTP, for
instance, it's I guess not a good thing to allow ISPs to remove NNTP access.
Someone who never uses that will not care. Personally, if I'm going to be
charged the same, I want it all, just in case. If there's going to be
discounts or other incentives for limited access, say for those who don't
use P2P filesharing, I would certainly welcome that. Now that more and more
things are being delivered over the internet, customization of services may
be a good idea.

> If you just reassert "it's bad", then you're not saying *why* you think
it's
> bad. Convince me with logic, not "proof by repeated vigorous assertion."

I wasn't aware my assertions were particularly vigorous. Just stating my
opinion on the matter, as does everybody else. I do feel strongly, however,
that in a free market, producers and providers should have the freedom to
define their products with minimum government involvement, except when
obvious health hazards are involved.