POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives : Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:19:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 22 Apr 2009 12:47:40
Message: <49ef4a2c@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 08:13:32 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> With the cable companies in the US, they behave as a common carrier in
>> that they are the sole provider of the line, but you can't (AFAIK)
>> choose to use a different ISP if you use the cable provider.
>
> Sometimes you can. But then what happens is you have things like Time
> Warner, who provides ISP, VIOP, and IPTV services, giving lower priority
> to traffic destined for Vonage's VOIP servers, Hulu, and so on.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. :-)

> I.e., by saying "It's my ISP, I can do whatever I want," they can
> provide VOIP at $50/month, and then refuse to connect you to the
> $20/month VOIP service, or provide cable TV service expensively and
> refuse to let you watch TV provided by someone else online like Hulu. TW
> already does this to some extent, until people complained to the PUC.
>
> Then Time Warner gets pay-per-view, and decides that you shouldn't be
> allowed to hit CinemaNow or NetFlix download servers.

Yup, and that's something that should be illegal - and I think people are
perfectly reasonable to complain to the PUC about it.

>> What I think needs to happen is that the line provider needs to be
>> classified as a common carrier.  Common carrier status means they have
>> to treat all data equal, and the service providers (ie, the one
>> providing the network address and access to the Internet at large) then
>> compete on features, access, availability, and bandwidth options.
>
> Exactly.

I worked for a company that owned a common carrier; as a common carrier,
they were required by law to carry signals for competitors in the primary
business (food and drug retail - yeah, I know, how they came to own a
common carrier....well, I do know the history) and had to do so in a very
clearly segmented way so as to not expose competitor data to our primary
lines of business.

Jim